Naturopathy or naturopathic medicine is a system of medicine based on the healing power of nature. Food and lifestyle choices are natures first medicine and naturopathy is a holistic system, enabling a variety of therapies such as nutrition, lifestyle choices and other complementary medicines to facilitate a patients healing.
There are two areas of focus for a naturopath, one is to support the body’s own healing ability and the other is to empower people to make lifestyle changes necessary for the best possible health. Naturopathic medicine tries to find the underlying cause of the condition rather than focusing on treating the symptoms. Naturopathy encompasses treating the whole person mind, body and spirit.
- The whole person is treated – physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
- The underlying cause is identified and not the disease.
- The individual is unique; each person responds in a different way.
- The person is treated, not the disease.
- Ill health is as a result of the internal disorder of the body rather than external influences of the environment.
- Prevention is preferable to cure.
- A naturopath is an educator, empowering the patient to take responsibility for his/her own health.